My parents' anniversary is always a big celebration and every year I stressed about what to get each of my parents for their special day. Many years ago I decided to start a tradition by giving them a gift with real meaning that they can pass down to the next generation. So many times people give gifts that seem useful at the time but often those gifts get put up on the shelf and never used. I decided I wanted to commemorate my parents' anniversary with something that would last, not only for their lifetime, but for many generations to come.
For my dad I gave him pocket watches every year. Each one is unique and engraved with the date it was given and the number of years the anniversary marked. He rarely carried any of the watches I gave him, but he does display them in a glass case and takes them out often to remember when they were given.
For my mother I wanted to give her something she would treasure. I decided to give her vintage lockets every year for their anniversary. Each locket holds a special inscription, the date it was given, and the year the anniversary marked. I also had tiny pictures placed inside each locket. These vintage lockets have become a very special collection for my mother and she always looks forward to each anniversary to see what she will be adding to her collection next.
To date, they each have twenty-seven items in their collections. Recently we were discussing their collections during a family meal and they informed my brothers and me that they have put the pocket watches and vintage lockets in their will to be divided among the grandchildren. I was very pleased to know how much these collections meant to them and am very proud to know that one day my children and grandchildren will be honored with one of these special gifts.
My first grandchild will be born the first of the year and I’ve decided to start this same tradition with her. I will give her cameo lockets for special birthday gifts. I will have them inscribed and have a tiny picture of her inside each locket. I think it’s important to give gifts that have meaning and allowing a person to attach a special memory to that gift. Those are truly the gifts that keep on giving.
No comments:
Post a Comment